THREE HORSESHOES I have located one undated record of this pub name recorded as being in Broom Street which is now known as Brook Street. William Wilkins kept the Three Horseshoes Beerhouse in New Street in the 1830s and 40s By 1849 he had moved to Cow Lane (Brook Street) where he kept another Beerhouse also called the Three Horseshoes. George Chambers took over this pub in 1861 and changed the name to Leycester Arms which had a full license by the time it was closed in 1914. THREE TUNS (1) This pub was recorded on the 1806 map of the town as being at 19 Jury Street which was on the North side of the street. It's owner was Lord Archer. Kemp in his "History Of Warwick" published in 1905 also referred to this pub at this address adding that the buiding was also called "Mornington House". In Tallis's list of Warwick Pubs is mentioned a pub of this name existing from 1788 - 1800 at a similar address which was then reported to be part of Lord Leycester Hotel. This assertion is confirmed by an entry in the Victoria County History which states "Jury Street House was built by one of the Wagstaffes of Tachbrook and was later owned by John Rous. In 1654 it was acquired by Sir Simon Archer; he or his heirs appear to have made extensive alterations including re-facing some of the stone walls with brickwork. Described as a 'very good , large, substantial house', its front, from at least the late 17th Century onwards, was of brick with stone dressings. It consisted of a central block of three bays, having two stories and an attic; the central doorway had Corinthian pilasters and a segmental pediment, the latter bearing the Archer arms at its apex. Two wings projecting towards the street enclosed a small forecourt. Both terminated in ogee-headed gable-ends with two-storied bay windows. The eastern wing continued eastwards for a further three bays, the central one having a matching bay window. A round-headed doorway was in the end bay. This house remained in the Archer family until 1800, though before that time it had ceased to be their town house and had been converted into the Three Tuns Inn. A Mr. Evans bought the house in 1800 and divided it, the western part being sold to Revd. Mr. Baynes, rector of Upton -on -Severn, who pulled it down and covered the site of the courtyard with a dining room, which had a brick frontage and sash windows. The eastern part of the house was purchased in 1820 by a Mr. Wilson of Exhall, who re-fronted it, destroying the bay windows. The Lord Leycester Hotel now incorporates part of the house." THREE TUNS (2) This pub must have caused a good deal of confusion as it existed at the same time as the afore mentioned pub of the same name. However this one was situated on the South side of Smith Street at number 42. It's owner in 1806 was Mrs. Jeffcote and the landlord was Thomas Smith. ? Unlike the first Three Tuns this one lasted a fair length of time with 18 licencees up until 1939. 1828/9 Edward Watts (& 1833) 1849 George Daniels 1862 Charles Whitmore 1874 John Evans 1880-1889 Henry Hubbard 1890-1901 James Farrar 1902 Mrs Farrar 1903 J.J. Waites 1904 William Price 1905-1907 Mrs. Price 1908-1911 William Job Power 1912-1915 J. Blackwell 1916 Henry C. Smith 1917-1919 G. Bayley 1920-1924 W.T. Mathieson 1925-1928 John Clarke 1929 Horace John Clarke 1930-1935 Archibald Fletcher 1936-1937 Philip George Kelsey 1938 James Edward S. Evatt This pub was called the Green Man before 1802 but it was shortly afterwards renamed. For three years at the turn of the century James Farrar took an advert out in the trade directory in which he described the pub as "Ye Olde Three Tuns Inn". This may have been poetic licence but if it was truly an Inn then it would have been quite up-market and would have provided stabling and full accommodation however there is no real evidence to back this up. This name continued until 1935 when an application was made to transfer the license from A.D.Fletcher to Phillip George Kelsey. This was approved and the new owners proposed to change its name to the Volunteer automatically closing the pub with the same name at 24 Smith Street and moving its license to a new pub which was being built at The Cape, the Wedgenock. TILTED WIG The Tilted Wig was originally the Dragon and the Green Dragon which was a coaching inn going back at least as far as 1805. In 1977 it was renamed the Oken Arms with the approval of the Trustees of Okens Charity although Thomas had no armorials. In September 1981 it became the Kingmaker although the arms featured on the sign were actually of the Beauchamp family not of Neville the Kingmaker. It became the Tilted Wig in 1989. The name derives from the Crown Court and the judges that visit it a few times a year, which is situated not too far away in Northgate Street. TUDOR HOUSE HOTEL Link to website This hotel is not listed in the trade directories until 1963 which unfortunately is past the date when the name of the licensee was given. Despite the late listing as a public house the building has an early history, so much so that the Victoria County History refers to it as "The outstanding early 17th Century house in this Street; a large timber-framed building of two stories and gabled attics. It was originally a two-bay building with a central stack and lobby entrance, but later incorporated a lower building at the east end as a further bay to form the present "L" shaped plan. The jettying of the first floor and attics extended across the east end of the original house and is still visible internally. The framing is of close-studding to the ground floor and small panels with chevron work to the first floor. The attic story has a frieze of quarter- rounds and gables with diagonal struts similar to the 1634 range in Swan Street. TWO ANGELS There is a single reference to this pub. In Kemp's "History of Warwick" (1905) he refers to it as being at 29 Jury Street which he terms as formerly being the "the Two Angels".
Created & Maintained by
Revised: 27 February 2005
This web page © 2016 Hunimex Kft.