GARDENERS ARMS There is a single reference to this pub in Kemp's History of Warwick published in 1905. He writes "a road leads to the Union Workhouse and to a district called the Packmores. An Inn called the Gardeners Arms was in the district at one time." GEORGE INN AND COMMERCIAL HOTEL This pub appears on the 1806 map of Warwick when its owner was Mrs Lamb and the landlord was William Timms. The pub was run by Maria Timms in 1849 and 1851 which was the last time the hotel was mentioned. It was situated at 9 Market Square and was a popular coaching inn around 1830. Long distance coaches were going to London and Birmingham daily on a coach called "The Crown Prince". The "Royal Pilot" ran from Bristol and Bath to Coventry three times a week while the "Vittoria" went to Coventry on Mondays through to Saturday; to Leicester daily and to Stratford on Avon on Sundays through to Friday. The "Royal Mail" and the "Union" also ran daily to Leicester. The "Telegraph" ran daily to Birmingham while the "Regulator" and the "Amicable" went to Leamington Spa. GLOBE INN COMMERCIAL AND POSTING This Hotel still standing on the Corner of Theatre Street and Ironbridge was recorded as early as 1788 on a town map when it was run by Tobias Edwards. In 1806 the map recorded the owner and landlady as Mrs. Hawkes. In 1833 - Catherine Phillips From 1849 until 1968 19 licensees are recorded: 1849 - 1857 Henry Elvins 1874 Elizabeth Keyte 1880 Miss Griffiths 1881 - 1885 Henry Maycock 1886 George William Mason 1887 - 1890 A.E. Gurney 1891 - 1904 W.M. Ward 1905 - 1908 Charles Isaac Ball 1908 - 1909 Mrs Ball 1910 - 1916 A.H. Harris 1917 - 1920 Mrs. Harris 1921 - 1927 T. Harris 1927 - 1941 Mrs. Elizabeth E. Harris 1942 - 1947 Frank Edward Oxborrow 1948 - 1952 Arthur John Haynes 1953 - 1958 Mr. and Mrs. R.L. Fairbrother 1959 - 1967 Mr. and Mrs. L.P. van Noord 1968 Mr. and Mrs. Ford Henry Elvins was recorded as being innkeeper and auctioneer in 1857 while George William Mason in 1886 was also a police constable. Arthur John Haynes was also recorded in one directory with the surname Haines but as the former spelling was used more frequently I am assuming that it was the correct one. The Harris family ran the Hotel for 40 years passing from husband to wife to son to daughter-in-law. The pub is now called the Globe Hotel a name it first acquired in 1888. Despite its situation it never attracted the main coaches and only had a local Saturday service to Eathorpe, Offchurch, Taddington and Wellesbourne in 1849. To Napton and Shipston in 1862 and to Southam and Ufton in 1881. From 1887 the only service was on Fridays to Napton and this continued until 1904. In recent years the hotel was extensively renovated and the bar area was converted into a continental cafe bar. Lots of white surfaces and mirrors abound, making the feel of the bar a little cold and unwelcoming, rather out of place in a small English hotel. This was not as successful as hoped, as there are now rumours that it may shortly be converted back into something more traditional. GOLD CUP This was a fine, friendly back street local situated at 6, Castle Street. About five years ago it was converted into what has become a popular bistro called The Ricochet. The Gold Cup is recorded in 1828 as being run by William Jordan but it is probably somewhat older than that. From 1849 there are only eight licensees during the next hundred years. 1849 George Cooper 1862 John Teague 1874 Sara Burgin 1880 William Hall Bartlett 1881 - 1888 Richard Hall Bartlett 1889 Albert Wincote 1890 - 1916 Richard Hall Bartlett 1917 - 1931 Mrs. Elizabeth Mansell 1932 - 1945 Alfred Stuart Antrobus 1948 - 1956 Leslie Arthur Beardmore The pub was in the hands of Richard Hall Bartlett for about thirty five years. It is possible that the first reference to William may have been an error while the sudden interruption by Albert Wincote in 1889 seems strange. I believe the fact that the pub was in the hands of publicans for quite long continuous spells help create the atmosphere the place had right to the end. At the end of its existence it consisted of a long hallway as you walked in. On the left a door to a tiny bar which was full with about a dozen people in it. Further along the hall a second door on the left took you into a rather larger lounge which was served from the hatch of the bar between the two rooms. There was a small family room of the back of the lounge and a kitchen beyond that. The toilets were at the far end of the hall and outside. It had a great atmosphere and was renowned for the quality of the Ansells Mild. It was a sad day when it closed even if it was getting a little run down. GOLDEN FLEECE Little is known about this hostelry. It was shown on the 1851 map of Warwick situated on Bridewell Lane, which later became Barrack Street. It was three properties along from the Hare and Hound opposite the prison. Run by Mary Ann Matthews (nee Robbins) in 1861 This site is now occupied by the Methodist church. GOLDEN HORSE This pub was shown on the 1806 map as being on the East side of the Saltisford. The owner and landlord at the time was William Bourton but has not been found in any further records. GOVERNORS HOUSE This imposing building is situated at 153 Cape Road although first references simply state the Upper Cape. It is adjacent to the site of the former Warwick Jail and as the name implies was the offices of the governor of the jail. The prison was demolished in 1933 and surprisingly the Governors House was converted to a pub inside two years. In 1936 it was owned by Hunt Edmunds and run by Leslie Guy Rose who continued to run it until at least 1956. In 1958 it was run by Albert Daniel Spraggett; in 1970 the landlord was Joseph Witton; in 1976 Craig Robinson and in 1978 John Stanley Makinson. The last recorded licensee in 1981 was Raymond Morris. It remained a pub until the late 1980's after which it stood empty for several years until being converted into private flats. I remember visiting the pub shortly before it closed and being struck by the unusual proportions of the rooms in particular the thickness of the walls and the high ceilings. The pub consisted of two public rooms a bar and a lounge. GREAT WESTERN HOTEL Situated at the foot of Station Approach this imposing Victorian pub stands high above the road and customers enter via a flight of stairs. It has an enclosed garden between the railway line and the station approach. The pub consists of a large lounge and a separate bar but probably had more rooms originally; it currently sells a range of Ansells beers but was formerly owned by the Leamington brewers Lucas & Co. It was first listed as a pub in the trade directories in 1862 and fourteen licensees are recorded over the following 100 years: 1862 William Webb 1874-1886 Richard Slater 1887-1889 William Davis 1890-1895 F.W.Eddon 1896 H.J.E.West 1897-1905 S.J.E.West 1906-1909 Charles A.Clarkson 1910-1922 William Such 1924 Mrs Such 1925-1932 A.W.J.Power 1933-1945 Mrs Ellen Power 1948 John William Townsend 1950-1953 H.W.M.Stott 1956 Albert J.Clarke Richard Slater as well as being licensee was listed as being a car proprietor in 1881 and in addition to that in 1885 he was also listed as an agent for the Great Western Railway. The 1896 reference to HJE West is more than likely a printing error and should be SJE West as is shown for the next 9 years. The 1927 Kellys Trade directory lists the licensee as Job William Power giving us two of his names albeit in the reversed order! Despite its location there is no record of its use as a coaching inn or even for carriers except for a very brief period in 1891 when there was one daily carrier but unfortunately its destination was not listed. Although this pub is today known as the Great Western it was originally known as the Great Western Hotel and no doubt provided accomodation for travellers arriving and departing in Warwick by train. GREEN DRAGON (1) Kemps 1905 publication "The History of Warwick and its People" makes reference to a pub of this name on Northgate Street and states "Nos 18 and 20 were formerly an inn; the house is described in a conveyance dated 1747 as being formerly known as the Stone House or the Green Dragon" No further reference has been found to this pub and certainly the present day appearance of this street makes it an unlikely site of a pub. GREEN DRAGON (2) In contrast this pub has been a well known landmark in the centre of Warwick for many years. It stands at 11 Market Place and is still there today although now with a different name and with a radically altered interior. This large building on the south side of the square has a series of glazed arches across the ground floor which make it distinctive. Originally these were open which is unusual for a building which was originally a private residence to the best of my knowledge. It was recorded on the 1806 map of Warwick when it was owned and run by Richard Smallbones but it has a much longer history than that as the County Record Office have deeds on the building going back to the early 1600s and they state that it was known by the name of the Green Dragon as early as 1636. Over the next 110 years twenty licensees are recorded which is an unusually high number for this period. They were as follows: 1850 Filmer Keen 1862 Samuel Hollier 1874 George Reading 1880-1881 William Terry Dobson 1882-1883 George Adams 1884 A. J. Lewis 1885-1887 E. P. Wright 1888 Mrs. Wright 1889-1898 R.W. Williams 1899-1906 Mrs. Ellen Elizabeth Williams 1907-1915 Thomas Bradley 1916-1925 Ernest Jones 1926-1931 Harry Grantham 1932 Mrs. Ruth Alice Grantham 1933-1934 Henry H. Hill 1935 Wilfrid Yates 1936-1938 Norman William Hastin 1939-1948 Vernon D. Watts 1950 Thomas Hy Rotherham 1953-1956 Alfred James Clarke In 1885 E. P. Wright was listed as a manager which was quite unusual in those days unlike the modern situation! In 1938 Norman William Hastin is wrongly listed in the Trade Directory as Hartin but this is simply a typing error. Being situated in the market place it was ideally suited to benefit from the visits of coaches and carriers. These are first recorded in 1829 when a "van" for passengers and luggage from Leamington Spa to Coventry departed at 9am daily with the return passing through at 6pm. This service was operated by William Hewitt. The following year the long distance coaches are recorded with the "Eclipse" running to London at 10am and in the other direction to Birmingham and Wolverhampton at 7pm. The "Royal Express" ran to London at 7.15am and to Liverpool at 4pm. The "Regulator" went to Oxford at 11am and came back at 3pm except on Sundays. The "Shamrock" departed at 8am for Cheltenham on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and came back on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 3pm on its way to Leamington Spa. On a more local route "Linney's Van" left at 9am for Coventry and came back at 6pm. By 1862 some local carriers were being recorded with a Saturday service to North End. In 1880 and through to 1886 Saturday services ran to Claverdon and Preston Bagot and for the last four years of this period an additional service ran to Henley in Arden. In 1887 destinations were no longer listed but carriers ran on Tuesdays and Saturdays to various places. From 1889 till 1905 they only ran on Saturdays, but from 1907 to 1909 they ran on Tuesdays again as well. Finally between 1912 and 1915 the service was once again down to just Saturdays. This was the end of their operation as by then competition was coming in from omnibuses and trams. Some early references to this pub simply quote the Dragon but I suspect that the authors were simply being lazy and abreviating the real name. In more recent times it has been known as the Oken Arms, the Kingmaker and the Tilted Wig. GREEN MAN (1) This 19th Century pub stood at 104, Saltisford which was probably in the vicinity of the present car showroom. It was first listed in 1849 although Tallis in his list of Warwick Pubs suggests it may have existed in 1841. It is last recorded in 1912 and during this time only 6 or 7 licensees are recorded: 1849 John Gill 1862 Betsy Sanders 1881-1882 Mary Ann Bradley 1883 E. Aldridge 1884-1885 Mrs. E. Aldridge 1886-1903 Joseph Kibbler 1904-1912 Harry Bedding Its not possible to say whether Mrs Aldridge took over from her husband in 1884 or whether she had the pub in her own right the previous year. A similar problem exists over the spelling of Kibbler as the first three years of his occupancy it is spelt with only one 'b'. Even Harry Bedding is for the first two years listed as Henry. This was probably a small establishment serving the local area and it was only licensed as a beer house in the 1880's. In the light of the type of pub it is very surprising to find that it had carriers calling albeit only for three years from 1900-1902 on Tuesdays and Saturdays. GREEN MAN (2) There is a brief mention of a second pub of this name on a lease transfer document in the Record Office dated 1802 which states that the Three Tuns on Smith Street was formerly known as the Green Man. It is possible that the pub of this name mentioned above opened around this time as it is most unusual for two pubs with the same name to exist in the same town. GREYHOUND The Greyhound is situated on the Emscote Road in Warwick, originally at No 22 but when the street was renumbered in 1882 its new address became 152. What is more surprising is that in 1909 it was suddenly listed as 204 and I am not aware of a second street renumbering taking place. The present building is quite obviously a recent replacement of the original pub dating from the late 1960's. Pubs are normally rebuilt following a disaster such as a fire - perhaps our readers will be able to enlighten us in this case. One thing that is clear from a photograph in the Museum's collections taken in 1961 is that the original pub of Victorian design was on the opposite side of Bridge Street to its present location. It is first listed in 1849 and fifteen licensees are recorded over the next hundred years: 1849 Henry Broadfoot Bollinger 1862 Benjamin Brown 1874-1881 William Henry Townsend 1882 George Keen 1883 J.T.Bolton 1884-1888 Robert Oldham 1889-1891 W.H.Hemming 1892-1893 John V.Lill 1894-1907 William Job Power 1908-1917 H.S.Harris 1919-1930 George Nicholls 1931-1936 Sam Knightley 1937-1938 James John Carter 1939-1941 John William Loveridge 1942-1956 Edwin Thomas In 1880 William Henry Townsend was also listed as a maltster and in 1894 William Job Power was supplementing his income as a coal merchant and furniture remover; it is interesting to note that 18 years after he leaves the Greyhound he took over at the Great Western for a further 8 years. The present pub consists of a basic no frills bar selling Ansells beers and presently the separate lounge is only used occasionally. GRIFFIN COMMERCIAL INN This pub was again situated in the Market Place and its address was 13 Market Square. A photograph taken between 1884 and 1904 shows that it was run by the old Burton brewery of Salt & Co. The building is next door to the former Green Dragon (now the Tilted Wig) and has been a gents outfitters in recent years which has just been renamed as Ciro Citterio. It first appeared on the 1806 map of Warwick when its owners were given as King Henry VIII Charity and the landlord was Edward Powers. It continued in existence until 1911 up till when a further eleven licensees are recorded: 1828-1849 William Briscoe 1862 Elizabeth Parkes 1874 Anne Phillips 1880 Miss Wollams 1881-1882 Algernon Mortimer Kelson 1883 W.Warren 1884-1902 William Briscoe 1903-1907 Mrs Alice Mary Briscoe 1908-1909 George Dawson 1910-1911 Mrs Grainger You will note that there have been two William Briscoe's running this pub but the dates would tend to suggest that this could not be the same person - this could be his son perhaps but this would be unusual with a gap of 50 years. Despite being a commercial inn in the Market Place it would appear not to have had the same status as some of the other hotels in the square as there is no record of it being frequented by the long distance coaches. However local services did use it; in 1862 there was a daily omnibus to Leamington running at 10am, 12noon, 2pm and hourly till 8pm (almost a better service than we have today!) In 1887 there was a carrier on Saturdays to Hampton, in 1888 there were carriers running on a Tuesday and twice on a Saturday. From 1889-1898 there was only the one regular Saturday service. On the last date that carriers were recorded in 1899 the Saturday service had increased to two.
Created & Maintained by
Revised: 27 February 2005
This web page © 2016 Hunimex Kft.