CAPE OF GOOD HOPE. This canalside pub is well known in Warwick and gives it's name to an area of the town. It was originally a beerhouse and was listed as such in 1881 when Samuel Reynolds had to run two businesses to make ends meet. We believe it has had only 11 licensees from 1862 till 1959 when trade directories stopped listing names. The Neale family tok over in 1904 and ran it for 27 years. First the husband then the wife who took over in 1912 and as she continued one can only assume that Mr. Neale was killed in The Great War. The licensees listed are as follows: 1862 John Mills 1880 Mrs Stubbins 1881-1891 Samuel Reynolds (shop keeper) 1892-1895 W.H.Burgess 1896-1902 Seth Spilsbury 1903 Mrs Spilsbury 1904-1911 Thomas Neale 1912-1931 Mrs Neale; in 1927 Kelly's directory lists the licensee as Mrs E.E.Leale and this listing carried through to 1928; in 1929 her name is recorded as Mrs E.E.Neal and so we assume that this is the same person throughout the 20 years. 1932-1933 Wm Wills 1934-1949 Geo Henry Clark 1950-1956 Mrs D.M.Whittell CARPENTERS ARMS Listed at 4 Chapel Street in 1849 with Thomas Curtis as licensee; however a reference in Tallis has it existing at the same address from 1835-1862. There is a reference to the Coventry Arms existing from 1872 at this address and it is possible that this earlier pub was simply renamed. CASTLE ARMS Tallis refers to a pub at 2 Smith Street from 1834-1970 and the trade directories agree with him. Carriers called at the pub on Saturdays between 1892 and 1915. For the first two years there was only one each weekend but from then on it ranged from two to four calling with the peak years being between 1895-1899 and 1911-1914. There were 10 licensees listed up until 1956 with most of them staying about 10 years on average. They were: 1862 George Page 1874 Mary Page 1880-1883 Thomas Alfred Butler 1884-1890 Mrs Butler 1891-1899 Wm Dunn 1900-1915 George Smith 1916-1918 John George Smith 1919-1923 C. H. Langston 1924-1932 John G Pearson 1933-1944 John Hammond 1945-1956 Chas. H. Goodenough Continued to be listed as a pub until 1971 but no names recorded. After it closed as a pub it remained empty for several years and now the building is a church meeting place and coffee shop. CASTLE HOTEL & COMMERCIAL INN Tallis makes reference to the Castle Hotel & Excise House in the Market Place from 1788-1855. Kemp's History of Warwick & Its People (1905) states "The Corn Exchange on the right at the commencement of Market Street occupies the whole or a portion of the site of an inn called the Castle which had a portico stretching over the pavement". The map of 1788 indicates the hotel and lists a Mr. Hiorns as the Landlord. The trade directories list the following landlords: 1830 Robert Godfrey (1833 James Godfrey) 1849-1850 Jas.Bryan In the early part of the Nineteenth Century this must have been an important inn with coaches arriving and departing daily. These included the "Royal Mail" between London and Birmingham; the "Royal Express" between London and Manchester and Liverpool; the "Telegraph" to Birmingham; the "Regulator" between Leicester or Oxford and Birmingham. The "Royal Pilot" between Coventry and Bristol via Cheltenham and Bath called three days as week. There were also a number of coaches that originated from the hotel. The "Amicable" ran every afternoon to Birmingham; whilst the "Union" ran to Cheltenham three days a week. There was a daily coach to Leicester called the "Sovereign", some days this had morning and afternoon departures. Finally there was a frequent local service to Leamington which ran every day, on the hour, between 8am. and 7pm. CAVALIER INN The Victoria County History states that this was in a building dating back to circa. 1500. It was originally a three bay house, the central bay of which was an open hall later floored over. The west bay was evidently a solar while the east was servi ce rooms. At the start of this Century curved wind braces and queen-strut roof trusses were exposed at first floor level. There was a large barn-like structure, dating from 1600, which overlapped the west end of the house at the rear and it probably served as a malting. The Warwick County Records Office record this pub as existing between 1694 and 1893 however it is strange that it does not make an appearance in the trade directories towards the end of its existence. COACH AND HORSES Tallis refers to the existence of this pub in Castle Street between 1850-1862. The following landlords are listed in the trade directories: 1849 Richard Hames 1862 George Daniels Kemp in 1905 states that the Coach and Horses was next to the Warwick Cottage Hospital and Dispensary which is next to the Gold Cup (now the Ricochet). If this is correct it must be the small office building that is now next door to the Aylesford Restaurant. COVENTRY ARMS Listed at 4 Chapel Street (see also The Carpenters which has also been recorded at this address) by Tallis as a pub from 1872-1910). The trade directories list the pub between 1862 and 1911 during which time it had only 9 licensees with William Morby having it longest - a total of 18 years. The licensees listed are: 1862 Robert Box 1874 Martha Box 1880-1883 William Bond (licensed victualler) 1884-1885 J.A.Higham 1886-1904 Wm.Morby 1905 Owen A.Jones 1906-1907 W.Mansell 1908-1909 Wm Henry Taylor 1910-1911 J.E.Marsh The pub was no longer listed after this date. CROSS KEYS (1) The first pub with this name stood on the west side of Castle Street and it was described as being brick built with stone dressings. It had five bays of two stories with attics, and a central projecting porch and round-headed entrance arch. It was recorded at the Record Office between 1661 and 1788 and it is marked on the town map of the latter date as being owned by Lord Warwick. It was later demolished when the castle grounds were expanded. CROSS KEYS (2) The second pub with this name was situated at 24 Friars Street. It is first recorded in 1828 when it was run by Mary Eborall, and in 1841, Joseph Robbins It is then next listed in 1849 and from then until its last mention in 1908 it had eight landlords. 1849 William Roberts 1862 Joseph Farmer 1874-1881 William Buckingham 1882-1895 William Jeffs 1896-1899 S. Reynolds 1900-1905 Thomas Pullen 1906 Thomas Mansell 1907-1908 Harry Green When this pub was first recorded it had local carriers stopping there on their way out to villages west of Warwick. Two ran on Saturdays, one to Claverdon operated by Joseph Middleton and another to Norton Lindsey run by Thomas Court. CROSS TAVERN It may come as a surprise to many that Warwick Court House (the Town Hall) stands on the site of an early pub and may incorporate part of it. The cross roads on which it stands was once the main intersection in the town and it was known as the High Cros s. In 1510 a house owned by William Edmondes called "Edmondes Place" or the "Cross Tavern" was granted to William Compton as part of his entitlement as keeper of the Castle. It was held by two of his successors but in 1554 it was granted to the bailiff and burgesses as a common hall to hold the borough courts. Evidently their title was not secure as it was mentioned amongst the properties that the burgesses tried to secure from the Earls in 1571 and in 1576 it was successfully revived with the town a acquiring the property. In 1694 it was damaged in the Great Fire of Warwick and in 1724 the corporation resolved to repair or rebuild the Court House. Evidence was produced at the enquiry that it was a good old strong building but so unsafe as to have to be supported by pro ps. It was eventually decided to rebuild it and work began the following year continuing until 1730. Francis Smith, a borough alderman was the architect. The cost from 1724-1731 was £2,254 which was a severe strain on the corporation finances and produced considerable opposition however it resulted in the fine building that is seen today. CROWN The Victoria County History makes a brief mention of an inn by this name existing on the High Street in 1545 but no further details are given. CROWN HOTEL The Crown Hotel at the junction of Coventry Road and Coten End is first mentioned in 1828 when it was called the Crown Commercial Inn and Bowling Green. Its address was given as the junction of St. John's Street and Coventry Ro ad. Later in 1885 it was listed at 2 Coventry Road. Up until the 1960s the were 19 licensees listed with two staying a long time: 1828-1829 Harriet Hodgins 1833 oseph Phillips 1849 Richard Atkins 1862 John Bister 1874 Robert M. Duff 1880-1897 Samuel Warren 1898-1899 H.R. Morgans 1900 G.B. Berry 1901 T.B. Manning 1902-1903 Mrs. Manning 1904-1905 George Thomas Royle 1906-1907 Isaac White 1908-1909 Mrs. Ruby White 1910-1916 W.W. Georoseph Burton 1948-1950 Clifford Uphill 1953 Vivian T. Lewis 1956 H.A. Osbourne 1959 Walter George Whitmore Warwick Library has a good photograph of the hotel taken in 1901.
Created & Maintained by
Revised: 27 Fenruary 2005
This web page © 2016 Hunimex Kft.